Cities & the Public Sector

IoT Solutions for Cities & the Public Sector

With more and more of the global population moving to urban areas on a daily basis, cities need to be responsive and flexible to the needs of their citizens while maintaining the most efficient use of public resources.  The Internet of Things (IoT) will play a major role in how government interacts with its citizens while improving and expanding services, curtailing costs and improving efficiency.  A recent study predicts that IoT technology in the Public Sector will drive over $4.6 Trillion dollars in savings and revenue for the next 10 years.

It is estimated that only 1% of what can be connected, is connected today. For cities and the public sector, connecting the remaining 99% has the potential to drive huge increases in employee productivity, connectivity between military and emergency services, operating cost reductions, revenue generation and enhanced citizen interaction. The Internet of Things offers city governments the ability to improve the lives of their citizens by gathering and analyzing data from “things” throughout the city and delivering the relevant results in the form of enhanced services. Governments would also benefit from the ability to quickly collect and analyze data used to manage activities or automate certain tasks.

IoT Benefits

For Public Sector applications, IoT benefits include online smart parking systems, systems for managing gas and water resources, home healthcare systems, variable road pricing, telework, connected learning, and military systems.

Data Collection and Analysis

As the number of Internet connected devices increases, (projected at 50 Billion by 2020), the requirement for high-speed data collection and efficient storage becomes paramount.  Once collected and stored, this data only becomes truly valuable once it is analyzed and turned into actionable metrics.  Advanced analytics allow cities to achieve this by automatically converting machine data into key performance indicators for triggering alerts or automated processes.

Remote Monitoring and Control

IoT technology affords governments the ability to monitor operational conditions and control activity, remotely from almost anywhere. City transportation departments can check the status of road conditions and traffic flow and can make adjustments to traffic control systems (lights, lane control, on-ramp meters) in real time from any Internet enabled device (Smart Phone, Tablet, or PC) or automatically using AI technologies. The implementation of predictive analytics makes it possible to identify potential equipment failures and enact swift corrective action. In short, IoT remote monitoring and control provides city governments with functionality that can increase productivity and efficiency, enhance citizen’s lives, and drive revenue.

Expanded Services

For the Public Sector, IoT’s benefits will be experienced through the expansion and enhancement of services provided today. For example, 911 calls from GPS enabled cell phones can pinpoint the exact location of the caller, locate and dispatch the nearest emergency response unit, and provide other relevant information (nearest physician, defibrillator, cab, etc.). OpenData’s ability to integrate real-time data from a wide variety of sources makes it ideally suited to support cities and governments that are looking to make significant advances in improving citizen service delivery through the use of IoT technology.

OpenData for IoT

The OpenData Platform provides all the pieces you need to collect data from the edge of the network and turn it into actionable information.  OpenData does all the heavy lifting, communicating with all types of devices from every manufacturer, normalizing data between devices, building calculated points and metrics and securely passing data to your IoT application.

If you need more information

Contact us and we can schedule a personal demonstration of OpenData for you.